» Contra 009 work in progress - News Update 16
Posted May 3, 2020. By
Work on Patch 3 is almost on daily basis. From models, maps and audio to AI improvement, game balance and bug fixes.
You already know that our Patch version is more like a new Contra version, rather than patching missed things and errors.
Because of that, please have some more patience. Still, we need to show some work in progress.
Few new models and visual improvements.
- New addition to China Infantry general is "Propaganda Officer". Lately, we are focusing on Infantry general's play style. We want to improve infantry hordes and encourage player to use infantry units, rather than relying only on Troop Crawlers. Troop Crawlers are still there, and it is good to have them as support and transport units, but soldiers are what you need if you play Infantry General. Propaganda Officer is available at rank 1 and as his name tells, he grants propaganda effect to your units.
Voices are amazingly done by our Voice Actor Matthew Vanston.
Let's continue with models!
- GLA Chemical general "Acid Pump" is now a separate structure. So, now you can build both Toxin and Acid Pump for your defenses. This means that they finally have an automatic fire mode.
- China Tank General's early gameplay was sometimes unfair, because of the ECM tank unit. When you are Airforce general, or Cybernetic, or most of your arsenal is rocket-based, and Tank General has 2-3 ECM tanks in horde, it was extremely hard to do some damage and to get rid of them. That's why we removed ECM tank from early game and added "ECM tower", which can be built almost as easy as Propaganda tower. They have a bigger deflection radius than the ECM tank had last time. You can protect your base from fast attacks or advance with them slowly.
- Most of the units got redesigned parts, which improve their visuals. Showing all of them would be too much for this update, but here is the one that is easily recognized. "Katyusha" got remodeled back part, as well as turret, which can now pitch up and down. We've done our best to rebalance this unit as well.
- Another thing which we are working on, are small details for structures. Meaning, each general's structures which are shared with other generals, got unique objects as details. Most of those objects can be seen on Command Centers in previous versions. So far, GLA structures are made. Assault has scrap parts, rockets and barrels. Chemical has pipes, headers and chemical barrels. Demolition has explosive barrels and C4 charges. Stealth has surveillance equipment installed.
- And another big improvement is lately done by EmperorAlexander.
He is our new member and he works on particle effects. By now, he has done tons of new effects, but here is just a sneak peak into some of them.
**** At the very end, we need to say big thanks to people who supported us through donations. We will publish their nicknames in a new section in the mod credits with the next release. If you want, you can also support us and help with our development. ****
» Contra 009 FINAL PATCH 2 released!
Posted December 18, 2019. By
Just before Holidays, we decided to finally release long awaited Patch 2 for Contra 009 FINAL!
We know that patch 1 was long time ago and you expected patch 2 earlier this year, but we packed so many things into this that at the end it was worth waiting.
This Holiday special bundle includes: reported bug fixes, new artwork, new voices, new general's powers, fixed AI, new maps, new launcher and new VPN!
- So, let's start with bug fixes and in-game changes!
To avoid huge list in this important article, you can read full changelog by following this link: https://www.moddb.co...angelog-part-21
- Just some of the new artwork!
A lot of in game stuff is changed, from units, effects, to game menu interface. Most of the beautiful stuff you will experience while playing.
However, as usual, here are some new renders of redesigns:
As seen in official videos, Valanx is replaced with Hummer variants. There are 2 random variants with snow version.
Super Weapon and Air Force generals use Hummer-based Avenger
Old Seraph mech is redesigned with concept similar to other angel type units!
GLA Marauder tank is now using its original Zero Hour concept, but much more detailed and improved!
Most of the "spawn" generals powers in game are balanced in such way, that they are dropped by planes. This change affected GLA and for this purpose small cargo plane has been made. Corvus will drop demo traps, acid, toxins and tunnel drillers.
China Gatling defense is also improved visually!
- Contra is richer by one new dimension now, thanks to voice actors and amazing job they did for so many units: Matthew Vanston (1, 2), Trench Dog, Forrest McGilvray, Connor Miranda (1), Cari Scholtens, TryToEpic (1, 2), Kinsmarck (1), Greekas, Caroline Sawatzki, Maelstrom (1)
- Contra Launcher has been reworked to support a new VPN. Once again you have everything you need with one control panel:
- Now you can also support us and our work. Contra is larger than before, and includes many collaborators and skilled people who share and sacrifice their free time in order to expand and improve this mod. All the support will be a reward used for further projects!
At the end, once again we want to say thanks to all the good people who voted for Contra in the last MOTY. It's always good to see that hard work is appreciated, and so it can be this year too. Contra is already in second round and we are happy for this, but feel free to vote once again and help us score better!
» Contra 009 FINAL released!
Posted January 1, 2019. By
As promised, we are bringing you Contra 009 Final in 2018!
The long wait is finally over! Over 200 bugs have been fixed, many and many balance and stability changes have been made! This is a well polished version. A lot of attention was put in all aspects by all people involved: developers, testers and collaborators! 009 Final introduces three new challengers: USA, China and GLA Boss. Skirmish AI was fixed and then drastically improved. Numerous crash and mismatch errors were found and fixed.
First of all, let us say that we are so grateful and thankful for all of your voting, which helped Contra to score very high in MOTY 2018 and boost Contra's popularity.
As a thank you, we have a small gift which is actually last minute model work. It will improve visuals even more. Angels for Cybernetic general have been remodelled and improved.
Angels are remade by Creator and dce.
This has been an amazing year for us, and for Contra. Our community grows each day. Many good and talented people are joining us, and helping us improving various segments.
But also, very important news is that Creator is back!
He will join us in our development, and help us achieve our goals and plans for next version, but even more. Creator already improved some stuff like walking animations for spiders, walkers, projectiles and some more.
One of the new additions is hand-made map previews for all maps (by triatomic). A lot of effort and work is put on this one, everything in order to have better visuals for you!
Of course, there is a brand new launcher made by Predator, with full ContraVPN support (made by tet too)! You no longer have to search people online, struggle with settings....Everything starts with this launcher. ContraVPN is maintained by the wonderful guy tet.
Use this power wisely. Meet other people, join online games, improve your skills.
Of course, if you don't like to play multiplayer games, you can always compete vs improved AI (by Predator), or enjoy redesigned challenge games and fight even Boss generals!
If you need instructions for setting things up, Persun is your guy. His channel is better and better, and has more and more Contra content. Instructions video below!
We have no doubt that more of our friends and streamers will offer more content on their channels. Please check them, and subscribe, so you can be sure not to miss anything: Jundiyy, Maelstrom
One thing which you won't miss if you play Contra, are well-known super units. All of our super units have been voiced by voice actors who made really amazing job: Maelstrom, Matthew Vanston and George Exley
Thanks to WWB2 for big attention to details, helping us with challenge missions and bug hunting, Adriane for making new multiplayer maps and triatomic for the high-quality map previews and decals! Testing 009 Final to ensure quality release would not be possible without Dark_E_Swan, WWB2, Armanis, ParadoX, Persun, tet, triatomic, Marakar, Jundiyy, Adriane, Raven, Noctis, Falcon and Nizar_Haddad for continuous support with testing and reporting issues. Special thanks to Nizar_Haddad for close collaboration in fixing hard-to-fix bugs.
However, we need to warn you about possible Mismatch problems with AI. Blaming SAGE for such thing became a meme, but unfortunately it is a true one. We stretched this old engine in every direction, made sure to have everything polished, but with improved AI, and tons of new stuff, mismatch may happen often if you play online game with your friend vs. AI. So, please keep this in mind. Remove AI and it will be fine.
What more to say at the end of this year!? We wish you all happy and successful New 2019 Year! See you in next adventure!
» Contra 009 work in progress - News Update 14
Posted July 8, 2018. By
A short video presentation of a new super unit for Cybernetic general, "Widow".
In case you didn't notice yet on Contra 009 stream videos, Cybernetic general got his spider units back, as an option to counter fast and deadly GLA attacks.
This means, when you reach rank3 and build Strategy Center, you will have to decide whether you will join the cult of Spiders or follow the path of Angels.
- if you select Angels, you will be able to build rank3 Angel units, together with their rank5 leader "Seraph" mech.
- if you chose Spiders, you will be able to use rank3 Spider units, with their mother "Widow" as rank 5 super unit.
Many of you will ask what is the difference and which one to use!? Well, it depends on your twisted mind.
- But it also depends on the type of the opponent you are facing. If you are fighting China, or USA, most likely you will go with Angels because of their firepower and armor. Angels are strong, but also slow and cost more.
- If you are fighting any of GLA generals, you will probably want to go with Spiders, as Spiders are fast and weak, but also cost less.
Depending on which option you chose, you will be able to build one Super unit, either "Seraph" or "Widow".
"Widow" is fast long range Super unit, armed with prototype of dual rail gun cannons, missile system effective vs ground and air targets, and is able to deploy spider mines for cheap price (used by repair droid in the past).
Please note that final version of Widow may differ from what you saw in video, as things are still being tested, fixed and repaired.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 13
Posted April 8, 2018. By
Welcome to another Contra update and Happy Easter!
This time it took longer to release a news update, but the work never stopped since the last update. There's work behind the scenes and there's work you see in news such as new models. After all, we posted News Update 11 and 12 one week apart like never before, while keeping them detailed.
Weather Manipulation Device (or WMD) is in the spotlights again. But why this model again? A sudden game crash was preventing us from inserting the model with all the initial details. Fortunately, that was fixed and the model was successfully inserted and looks as good as planned.
Laser general's Tokamak super power plant got a texture overhaul and it glows on night maps.
Salvage Factory is a new building for Assault general. It was about time for Assault to get a special building since Stealth has Jammer Station, Toxin has Chemical Lab and Demo has Airfield. This new building is of course still being tested, but currently, it is available at rank 3 and costs $3000. Salvage Factory drops a salvage crate at the red mark each few seconds. Players have to manually place their tank on that spot in order to get the crate. In addition, "Recycling" upgrade is now available for research at this structure, thus at rank 3. We have some more ideas for this structure which may become active abilities.
The good old SDI Cannon is now a good new SDI Cannon. All stats remain unchanged.
One good screenshot follows up. Let's not forget about the standard way of showing cool stuff, hey! Infantry general's Troop Crawlers...
... but it's not over yet. Particle and sound effects have also been improved without performance cost.
Before we end this update, we want to link you to Maelstrom's twitch. He streams Contra every Saturday, showing new content while testers play online: https://www.twitch.tv/maelstromx103 He was very generous to record new voice lines for Angel robots, and is planning to do some more for other units.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 11
Posted December 16, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by ThePredatorBG on Dec 16th, 2017
Welcome back to Contra, dear generals! This will be an unusual update. This time, we will present you some of the improvements we made to the Skirmish AI. Let's go!
Since 009 Beta 2 release, many players, including me, were disappointed from the AI which was even more broken than the first Beta. It was time to get my hands on it. I started studying and testing AI. After fixing all the major bugs, I got interested in scripting some unusual, special AI behaviors.
What you see below is the Insane AI building a Hadron Collider near your base. I could have kept this one a surprise, but I'm sure many people will still not expect or forget about the AI being able to do it. This hidden attack is performed only by Insane AI on official 1v1 maps, suitable for building Hadron Colliders.
Next up, we have AI deploying AA Radars on their way.
Shandian and Centurions performing overwater attacks. Sounds dangerous, huh?
Troop Crawlers! More trouble.
Tank AI utilizing Bixies.
And dropping heavy tanks behind enemy lines.
A sneaky BTR-50 creating a Sneak Attack in my base.
Assault AI using the Rig Launcher to dig tunnels on its way.
AI will call paradrop support powers in their base. This prevents them from sending their paradrops on suicide missions.
We are also very proud to announce that Contra is much more stable than before. While playing online together, we noticed some suspicious situations (e.g. Nuke Battlemaster having a high chance of causing mismatch in the first few minutes of the game). Every mismatch we were suspicious about was later tested and if confirmed, we went over and fixed it. The most common cause was the following case: Many units had a minimum attack range glitch. If their minimum attack range was too low and they were ordered to attack close to their location, they used to fire a shot which would not register properly. It actually detonates at the bottom left corner of the map and therefore the game considers it a mismatch. Fixing this one drastically reduced mismatch errors. It is shown below.
More such stability fixes include Leonidas mismatch fix, Squid Drone crash fix, Strategy Center Battle Plan switching crash fix, and a very rare crash found by PeRSuN caused by a garrisoned Laser Defender shooting close enough to damage the building he was in.
Fixes to some texture shaders such as those used on parachutes, particle and AI optimizations improve overall performance. On top of all that, we have ContraVPN in active development by tet, which is as lag-free as possible. It will be integrated with 009 Final once it comes out.
That's all for now. Thank you for making us part of the top 100 mods in this year's MOTY competition. We hope we got you excited once again!
Consider joining our Discord channel if you're up for some online games or just hang out with us.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 9
Posted June 6, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by d-ce on Jun 06th, 2017
This time, we made a special treat for all of you. Before showing renders with descriptions as usual, we put a bit more effort and made little trailer video about this update.
Holding onto something while watching video is highly recommended, due to much awesomeness which causes your ass falling on the ground!
Now, let's explain what we saw.
- first, there is a new cool thing for Laser general. His Power Plant structures got unique upgrade, Laser Fences which can be upgraded from rank1. Laser fences will protect Power Plants from sabotage, and capturing by killing any infantry which comes very close. It also provides additional health to structure. But upgrade is not cheap, and drains one power point.
- defense cores are special vehicle units for Super Weapon general, which can be produced from Command Center. From left to the right, Patriot, Ion and Grendel. As we saw in video, they can be deployed in their respective defense structures. Their cost is equal to defense structure and half of the Dozer price. In balance order, they are vulnerable, and especially in deploying phase which takes around 7 seconds. Defense cores are great at reducing micro, and capturing more zones on map. Carrying them by Chinook and deploying multiple at the same time, is much easier than building each structure with one Dozer.
And now you saw it in game, with new weapon projectiles.
- Weather manipulation device, is actually replacement for Blackout Missile System. More or less, it acts the same, but more visual effect is given, and will be even more. It also deals a bit more damage.
- Thing which is not shown in video, is Gatling addon for Patria
In order to balance Infantry vs. Airforce matchup, minigun upgrade for minigunners is moved to rank 3, while Gatling upgrade affects Machinegun Patria both visually and with firepower.
And last but not least, is visual improvement on all USA structures, thanks to PredatorBG who took some time and effort to improve them for all of us: Click
We would also like to thank Hecthor Doomhammer who gave great review of Contra mod.
» Contra 009 Beta 2 Released
Posted December 26, 2016. By
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Hi everyone, as promised, we are releasing yet another version of Contra mod.
A year has passed by since the last beta version, and we made a lot of changes. As usual we have made many new things for you guys to discover and enjoy. Improved old and bad things, fixed bugs, and added new stuff for you to play with. Two brand new Challenge maps are available: Demolition and Flame.
Before actual download link, there are few new visual improvements to show, so let's start.
USA Laser Avenger tank
Old Avenger model got replaced with new one, but it is not just visual update. New Avenger has only one weapon, which is of course anti air, but he got new hybrid armor. Armor which is resistant to RPG missiles more than usual AA unit, and also resistant to Jet Missiles. You could say, it is combination of regular tank, and anti-air tank.
USA Air Force's Black Hawk
In order to balance generals' powers, we did some changes there too. So Air Force general's Shockwave Bomb is removed, and replaced with SEAL drop. SEALs are dropped by 3 stealth Black Hawks, which are very well armored too. This power is available at rank 5.
USA Air Force's Navy SEAL
So as explained above, SEALs are dropped by stealth Black Hawks. All together 9 Seals, very well armored and equipped with M32 grenade launcher effective vs all ground targets. They come as a good support, or ambush attack from behind. In future, SEALs will get the ability to swim, and place explosive charges on structures. They are also stealth while not moving or shooting.
GLA Toxin Pump
GLA Toxin general's demo traps are replaced with toxin pumps now. This nice little thing can spill both toxin and acid (despite of the name) around itself and damage nearby units. It is manually controlled. Acid damages pump and destroys it, but if you purchase Neutralizers upgrade at rank 3, pump won't damage itself anymore. Of course, both toxin and acid can be even more upgraded to bring more damage. Plant those things on map, pollute everything and enjoy watching your enemy dying slowly. Toxin pump is stealth, and can be destroyed by any unit.
Last but definitely not least, is improvement on GLA structures. PredatorBG took some time to improve GLA textures, and with this, all structures look much better.
This is render of GLA assault general's Temple
No more yellow boring walls, now we have nice looking bricks.
And here is a picture of all GLA structures together:
Before you download and start playing, please read these most important gameplay changes, and avoid unpleasant surprises
all USA Valanx units now come with already upgraded TOW (but nerfed) weapons
all USA Valanx units passengers cannot fire from inside anymore
all USA Laser generals units, can go through rampage from game start, meaning, they upgrade lasers individually with experience
all GLA tunnels no longer have a mounted weapon, and don't give free tunnel defenders, but they are much cheaper and built very fast
all GLA command trucks are limited to 1
you can reach rank 6 now, which gives you additional 3 science points which you can spend on your general's powers
...for complete changelog article, visit this link:
Now, we will take some rest from working on new version, and we will be available for online playing with you. So, we are inviting you to join us in Tunngle and play with us, if you see us there, feel free to challenge anyone for a game.
And a few more final words, about our future plans. So next release will be Contra 009 FINAL. Which will have some finished things from this version, and fixed bugs. This 009 Beta 2 is almost as complete as 009 FINAL would be, but we decided to release it under beta code name, in order to give you guys something for holidays. We plan to release 009 FINAL in 2017, if our RL goes as planned.
We would like to thank you for all support, and for voting on MOTY. Keep in mind, we are just 2 people that are working on all aspects of this mod. We have RL same as you guys have.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 7
Posted August 6, 2016. By
Originally posted on ModDB by d-ce on Aug 6th, 2016
Hello dear friends!
As usual we are bringing you some insight into our progress. It would be a shame if Summer would go without some new fancy update right!? So, without much intro, let's get to it.
USA Super Weapon general got long awaited and expected tank unit, Centurion tank!
Centurion is energy depending, rank 1 tank, which needs to be purchased through general's powers. This means, if you want him, you will need to spend one science point. Centurion consumes 2 energy points, and without energy he is shut down. His special hovering locomotor allows him to drive over water and cliffs. Fires energy shots which cannot be deviated by ecm. Centurion is good to deal vs. any rank 1 tank, but also, with upgrades at rank 3, he can improve his armor, and weapon. But, while improving weapon, he will need even more energy, specifically he will need 3 energy points in total to be online. So, be careful, this is a tricky unit. Standing near Ion Plant will give him additional +50% damage bonus, because he will consume energy directly from Ion Plant.
Depending on your enemy, you will be able to choose whether you go standard with defenses, or you purchase this fancy tank. Mostly recommended vs. generals who do not rely too much on infantry.
Demo general's Ratel
Ratel is a fine piece of technology designed for Demo general, available at rank 3. His main weapon can pierce through any rank 1 unit and deal significant damage to stronger units, for example Emperors. But, his main role is his secondary weapon, suicide pack, which is designed specifically to destroy huge vehicles like Emperors. Ratel's armor allows him to survive 2 Emperor shots, perform suicide attack and destroy Emperor. Additional ability is to transport 6 units (cannot fire from inside), which can survive suicide attack, and deal extra damage. Ratel is not a salvager, but he can be upgraded with many upgrades.
Stealth general's Ratel II
This ratel variant is made specifically for stealth general. Available at rank 3, Ratel II is a sneaky bastard who lures his targets into trap. Ratel II is stealth by default, while standing still and shooting. He reveals himself only when moving. His special ability allows him to fire a jamming beam which makes enemy unit unselectable, while remaining stealth he also fires primary machinegun and deals significant damage to target. Targeted vehicle is helpless, cannot return fire because Ratel II is stealth, and also cannot force fire because cannot be selected. Only scout unit, or another can help you if you find yourself in trap. Since he is smaller, he can transport only 2 units (cannot fire from inside). Also, he is not a salvager.
Another big thing, is change in Laser general's gameplay.
Laser general's units are no longer upgradeable through different lasers, they get better lasers with each rank. Basically, all laser units start with blue laser, while progressing through veterancy they improve to green, orange and finally red lasers. Advancing with laser units now pays off more than waiting and purchasing upgrades, I like to call this rampage gameplay. The more units your unit kills, the better weapon it gets. We all know each veterancy rank improved slightly weapon for each unit, but for laser units, this is very noticeable, both visually and gameplay-wise.
Some additional stuff is given to laser. New Laser Training power, available at rank 3, makes all laser units start with green laser. For this general, most important upgrade is Training upgrade from strategy center, which makes laser units gain experience twice faster.
Another small addition are generals flags on GLA Factory structures. No longer you will have to click on worker or factory to find out which general it is, you can simply look at flag.
I recommend you to follow Persun's youtube channel. He is our tester and he uploads videos of our games every week, as well as many other walkthrough videos. Our last 2v2 game will show you laser gameplay and Ratel in-game. It was a great game, take a look at it:
Thanks to our new members, Marakar and Teteros, we have more intense and mixed games. Before I end this update, Predator wants to leave a message too.
- Hi people, Predator here. Just want to keep you up to date on what's going on with other aspects of the mod, the ones which I'm responsible for. I have fixed some big AI issues, working on Challenge and Campaign as much as I can, and improving some cameos as well. Some people have requested new multiplayer maps, containing usable Boss technologies, but sadly, I don't have enough time in my hands for them... If you have interesting ideas in mind and would like to make cool maps like these, feel free to send me a PM. Show me what you've made and I may include it in the next release. I have a physical part done for an AOD map by the way (but no scripting). It's been sitting on my PC for years. Also, I would appreciate if anyone experiencing problems with the Contra Launcher (the "Could not launch Contra" error in particular) contacts me. I have made some changes to it, but need someone who had problems with it to test if it works for him now. Thanks guys.
There are some new features that are in progress, which will be shown in the next updates. Until then, stay tuned!