» Contra 009 work in progress - News Update 16
Posted May 3, 2020. By
Work on Patch 3 is almost on daily basis. From models, maps and audio to AI improvement, game balance and bug fixes.
You already know that our Patch version is more like a new Contra version, rather than patching missed things and errors.
Because of that, please have some more patience. Still, we need to show some work in progress.
Few new models and visual improvements.
- New addition to China Infantry general is "Propaganda Officer". Lately, we are focusing on Infantry general's play style. We want to improve infantry hordes and encourage player to use infantry units, rather than relying only on Troop Crawlers. Troop Crawlers are still there, and it is good to have them as support and transport units, but soldiers are what you need if you play Infantry General. Propaganda Officer is available at rank 1 and as his name tells, he grants propaganda effect to your units.
Voices are amazingly done by our Voice Actor Matthew Vanston.
Let's continue with models!
- GLA Chemical general "Acid Pump" is now a separate structure. So, now you can build both Toxin and Acid Pump for your defenses. This means that they finally have an automatic fire mode.
- China Tank General's early gameplay was sometimes unfair, because of the ECM tank unit. When you are Airforce general, or Cybernetic, or most of your arsenal is rocket-based, and Tank General has 2-3 ECM tanks in horde, it was extremely hard to do some damage and to get rid of them. That's why we removed ECM tank from early game and added "ECM tower", which can be built almost as easy as Propaganda tower. They have a bigger deflection radius than the ECM tank had last time. You can protect your base from fast attacks or advance with them slowly.
- Most of the units got redesigned parts, which improve their visuals. Showing all of them would be too much for this update, but here is the one that is easily recognized. "Katyusha" got remodeled back part, as well as turret, which can now pitch up and down. We've done our best to rebalance this unit as well.
- Another thing which we are working on, are small details for structures. Meaning, each general's structures which are shared with other generals, got unique objects as details. Most of those objects can be seen on Command Centers in previous versions. So far, GLA structures are made. Assault has scrap parts, rockets and barrels. Chemical has pipes, headers and chemical barrels. Demolition has explosive barrels and C4 charges. Stealth has surveillance equipment installed.
- And another big improvement is lately done by EmperorAlexander.
He is our new member and he works on particle effects. By now, he has done tons of new effects, but here is just a sneak peak into some of them.
**** At the very end, we need to say big thanks to people who supported us through donations. We will publish their nicknames in a new section in the mod credits with the next release. If you want, you can also support us and help with our development. ****
» Contra 009 FINAL PATCH 2 released!
Posted December 18, 2019. By
Just before Holidays, we decided to finally release long awaited Patch 2 for Contra 009 FINAL!
We know that patch 1 was long time ago and you expected patch 2 earlier this year, but we packed so many things into this that at the end it was worth waiting.
This Holiday special bundle includes: reported bug fixes, new artwork, new voices, new general's powers, fixed AI, new maps, new launcher and new VPN!
- So, let's start with bug fixes and in-game changes!
To avoid huge list in this important article, you can read full changelog by following this link: https://www.moddb.co...angelog-part-21
- Just some of the new artwork!
A lot of in game stuff is changed, from units, effects, to game menu interface. Most of the beautiful stuff you will experience while playing.
However, as usual, here are some new renders of redesigns:
As seen in official videos, Valanx is replaced with Hummer variants. There are 2 random variants with snow version.
Super Weapon and Air Force generals use Hummer-based Avenger
Old Seraph mech is redesigned with concept similar to other angel type units!
GLA Marauder tank is now using its original Zero Hour concept, but much more detailed and improved!
Most of the "spawn" generals powers in game are balanced in such way, that they are dropped by planes. This change affected GLA and for this purpose small cargo plane has been made. Corvus will drop demo traps, acid, toxins and tunnel drillers.
China Gatling defense is also improved visually!
- Contra is richer by one new dimension now, thanks to voice actors and amazing job they did for so many units: Matthew Vanston (1, 2), Trench Dog, Forrest McGilvray, Connor Miranda (1), Cari Scholtens, TryToEpic (1, 2), Kinsmarck (1), Greekas, Caroline Sawatzki, Maelstrom (1)
- Contra Launcher has been reworked to support a new VPN. Once again you have everything you need with one control panel:
- Now you can also support us and our work. Contra is larger than before, and includes many collaborators and skilled people who share and sacrifice their free time in order to expand and improve this mod. All the support will be a reward used for further projects!
At the end, once again we want to say thanks to all the good people who voted for Contra in the last MOTY. It's always good to see that hard work is appreciated, and so it can be this year too. Contra is already in second round and we are happy for this, but feel free to vote once again and help us score better!
» Contra 009 FINAL released!
Posted January 1, 2019. By
As promised, we are bringing you Contra 009 Final in 2018!
The long wait is finally over! Over 200 bugs have been fixed, many and many balance and stability changes have been made! This is a well polished version. A lot of attention was put in all aspects by all people involved: developers, testers and collaborators! 009 Final introduces three new challengers: USA, China and GLA Boss. Skirmish AI was fixed and then drastically improved. Numerous crash and mismatch errors were found and fixed.
First of all, let us say that we are so grateful and thankful for all of your voting, which helped Contra to score very high in MOTY 2018 and boost Contra's popularity.
As a thank you, we have a small gift which is actually last minute model work. It will improve visuals even more. Angels for Cybernetic general have been remodelled and improved.
Angels are remade by Creator and dce.
This has been an amazing year for us, and for Contra. Our community grows each day. Many good and talented people are joining us, and helping us improving various segments.
But also, very important news is that Creator is back!
He will join us in our development, and help us achieve our goals and plans for next version, but even more. Creator already improved some stuff like walking animations for spiders, walkers, projectiles and some more.
One of the new additions is hand-made map previews for all maps (by triatomic). A lot of effort and work is put on this one, everything in order to have better visuals for you!
Of course, there is a brand new launcher made by Predator, with full ContraVPN support (made by tet too)! You no longer have to search people online, struggle with settings....Everything starts with this launcher. ContraVPN is maintained by the wonderful guy tet.
Use this power wisely. Meet other people, join online games, improve your skills.
Of course, if you don't like to play multiplayer games, you can always compete vs improved AI (by Predator), or enjoy redesigned challenge games and fight even Boss generals!
If you need instructions for setting things up, Persun is your guy. His channel is better and better, and has more and more Contra content. Instructions video below!
We have no doubt that more of our friends and streamers will offer more content on their channels. Please check them, and subscribe, so you can be sure not to miss anything: Jundiyy, Maelstrom
One thing which you won't miss if you play Contra, are well-known super units. All of our super units have been voiced by voice actors who made really amazing job: Maelstrom, Matthew Vanston and George Exley
Thanks to WWB2 for big attention to details, helping us with challenge missions and bug hunting, Adriane for making new multiplayer maps and triatomic for the high-quality map previews and decals! Testing 009 Final to ensure quality release would not be possible without Dark_E_Swan, WWB2, Armanis, ParadoX, Persun, tet, triatomic, Marakar, Jundiyy, Adriane, Raven, Noctis, Falcon and Nizar_Haddad for continuous support with testing and reporting issues. Special thanks to Nizar_Haddad for close collaboration in fixing hard-to-fix bugs.
However, we need to warn you about possible Mismatch problems with AI. Blaming SAGE for such thing became a meme, but unfortunately it is a true one. We stretched this old engine in every direction, made sure to have everything polished, but with improved AI, and tons of new stuff, mismatch may happen often if you play online game with your friend vs. AI. So, please keep this in mind. Remove AI and it will be fine.
What more to say at the end of this year!? We wish you all happy and successful New 2019 Year! See you in next adventure!
» Contra 009 work in progress - News Update 15
Posted September 16, 2018. By
Hi guys!! (and girls, I hope there is at least one girl playing Contra mod)
Autumn did not officially start yet, but sometimes we like to be super crazy and break the rules.
So even before Autumn we are bringing you Autumn update (how crazy is that)!?
As we are heading towards Contra 009 FINAL release, we are polishing and improving existing units, AI behavior and gameplay.
In this update we will show you some of the updated units. Of course, besides just units renders, there are a lot of "touches" which you will notice when actually playing.
Once again, we are doing this all for you, so please be a bit more patient.
- First one is updated Microwave Tank for Laser general. Finally that old tuna fish can is replaced with better model. Yes, he is using Avenger bottom, and no, not every tank has to be super unique.
- "Gate guardians" are cool guardian drones made only for Seraph mech. Due to game balance Seraph`s shield is removed. New drones are made by default, you don't have to spend money for them. They protect Seraph in pair. Repairing him while standing above him, destroying missiles with lasers, and shooting on both infantry and vehicles. Drones cannot be killed (nor targeted) until Seraph dies.
- Cybernetic general Factory has been remade because of few reasons. First one is, old model had really bad UVW map where some parts of texture were stretched. When exported, few animation frames were cut (no one actually noticed and I never told anyone). And texture style didn't fit other USA structures. So now, you can see brand new factory which fits Ironhand style. Factory doesn't have dining room, sleeping room and other rooms like barracks, instead, there is a butchery needed for assembly of human and robot parts. Where are human parts from? Well, don't ask me. Ask general Ironhand who claims there are less homeless on the streets since he runs his program.
- Another USA structure makeover is given to Airforce generals Superweapon. Again, bad UVW map and texture design, but also lack of night version led to improvement. Few more details added, looks neat in game.
- China also got few things. Zhu Rong or Thermobaric mortar, got improved cannon and few details attached. Once you play general Bao challenge, you will know you are in Hell.
- Contra doesn't have many public models in game. In fact, there is one only. It is famous Dragon Tank. I couldn't find a better concept for this true masterpiece, in order to make this tank unique for Contra. At the end, it would be just a slight variant of this unit. So, Dragon tank got his texture and UVW map improved to fit all other China tanks in Contra mod.
- And at last, Tank general Overlord Headquarters got improved structure. We will all agree that old one was lacking details.
And, at the end, as usual...
Please don't ask for release date as we don't know exactly. Yes, we are doing our best to release 009 FINAL this year. Both you and we are waiting for this very long. But keep in mind that we are trying not to release a version filled with bugs, or with broken gameplay where one general rules over others. We are aware that we won't be able to achieve a perfect balance, but we assure you that it will be much better than before. That's hard when you have so many unique units.
Anyway, thank you for patience, and thank you for support. It means a lot!
» Contra 009 work in progress - News Update 14
Posted July 8, 2018. By
A short video presentation of a new super unit for Cybernetic general, "Widow".
In case you didn't notice yet on Contra 009 stream videos, Cybernetic general got his spider units back, as an option to counter fast and deadly GLA attacks.
This means, when you reach rank3 and build Strategy Center, you will have to decide whether you will join the cult of Spiders or follow the path of Angels.
- if you select Angels, you will be able to build rank3 Angel units, together with their rank5 leader "Seraph" mech.
- if you chose Spiders, you will be able to use rank3 Spider units, with their mother "Widow" as rank 5 super unit.
Many of you will ask what is the difference and which one to use!? Well, it depends on your twisted mind.
- But it also depends on the type of the opponent you are facing. If you are fighting China, or USA, most likely you will go with Angels because of their firepower and armor. Angels are strong, but also slow and cost more.
- If you are fighting any of GLA generals, you will probably want to go with Spiders, as Spiders are fast and weak, but also cost less.
Depending on which option you chose, you will be able to build one Super unit, either "Seraph" or "Widow".
"Widow" is fast long range Super unit, armed with prototype of dual rail gun cannons, missile system effective vs ground and air targets, and is able to deploy spider mines for cheap price (used by repair droid in the past).
Please note that final version of Widow may differ from what you saw in video, as things are still being tested, fixed and repaired.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 13
Posted April 8, 2018. By
Welcome to another Contra update and Happy Easter!
This time it took longer to release a news update, but the work never stopped since the last update. There's work behind the scenes and there's work you see in news such as new models. After all, we posted News Update 11 and 12 one week apart like never before, while keeping them detailed.
Weather Manipulation Device (or WMD) is in the spotlights again. But why this model again? A sudden game crash was preventing us from inserting the model with all the initial details. Fortunately, that was fixed and the model was successfully inserted and looks as good as planned.
Laser general's Tokamak super power plant got a texture overhaul and it glows on night maps.
Salvage Factory is a new building for Assault general. It was about time for Assault to get a special building since Stealth has Jammer Station, Toxin has Chemical Lab and Demo has Airfield. This new building is of course still being tested, but currently, it is available at rank 3 and costs $3000. Salvage Factory drops a salvage crate at the red mark each few seconds. Players have to manually place their tank on that spot in order to get the crate. In addition, "Recycling" upgrade is now available for research at this structure, thus at rank 3. We have some more ideas for this structure which may become active abilities.
The good old SDI Cannon is now a good new SDI Cannon. All stats remain unchanged.
One good screenshot follows up. Let's not forget about the standard way of showing cool stuff, hey! Infantry general's Troop Crawlers...
... but it's not over yet. Particle and sound effects have also been improved without performance cost.
Before we end this update, we want to link you to Maelstrom's twitch. He streams Contra every Saturday, showing new content while testers play online: https://www.twitch.tv/maelstromx103 He was very generous to record new voice lines for Angel robots, and is planning to do some more for other units.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 12
Posted December 23, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dce on Dec 23rd, 2017
First, we need to disappoint all of you who were awaiting a Contra 009 Final or another Beta release.
We decided not to release another version for these holidays.
...that's one way to start an update....
The reason is simple. We didn't have enough time to test and balance properly all the stuff we made and changed. Last year we were so excited to show you progress that we released some units with serious balance problems (like Ratel II, or Centurion tank with bonus).
Now we want to correct this, we will rather wait a bit more and release Contra 009 FINAL next year.
This is our plan, but please keep in mind that, if a car hits me or PredatorBG while we are walking down the street minding our own business, that plan MIGHT change (so don't ask for exact release day).
...some other less important reasons might delay release too, like WW3 or cancer....
So, we already said thanks to all of you who support us, and voted for us on MOTY. It is also great to see our community growing bigger on Discord channel. Once again, we are inviting you all there. Arrange games, make new friends, chat, and you might even get access to Developer version.
Last update was about amazing AI changes, this one will be about some model updates. Together with models, there are plenty of code changes too, which of course cannot be shown with renders.
GLA Airifeld had major flaws with its appearance in game. So model is changed. It also contains only two units. Since GLA air units don't need to land on airfield, once they are in air, you can still produce as much as you like with only one airfield.
AF Burton A-10 strike was annoying and overpowered in many cases. So his ability is changed and replaced with another unit. This fighter can take down a single unit without causing massive damage to nearby structures and units too. Unlike A-10, fighter is also affected by stealth upgrade.
Cybernetic general is constantly being balanced. It's a thin line between being OP or a very weak general. New structure is called Spider Nest. This structure is small, cheap and easy to build. It is stealth all the time. Attacks nearby enemy units by releasing small Spider Mines. It is great when you need to stop Dragon tank, or any rush unit while you still don't have TOW missiles upgrade.
Another thing for Cybernetic general is Vorta (yes, I'm a Trekkie). Vorta is a secondary supplies gatherer. Half of the price of Harbinger, but it also brings half the amount of supplies. It is faster and can be used well in some critical situations where you need smaller amount of money but faster.
And last improvement is Nemesis N2
Old Nemesis is improved and replaced with this unit. His role is changed too. He is not a battle oriented unit anymore. In fact, he comes with 8 Cylons loaded inside. Thanks to Nemesis N2's great armor, you can transport them anywhere you like.
Of course, this also means Cylons as power drop, are not available anymore. Instead, you can drop a squad of Cyborgs. This is all balance wise.
So, there you go. Even while I'm writing this, another stuff is being made, nice and warm Christmas cookies, but these are all for me.
We wish you all Happy Holidays, and see you next year!
Woooooooooosshhhh (that's a sound of me flying off with my jet pack).
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 11
Posted December 16, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by ThePredatorBG on Dec 16th, 2017
Welcome back to Contra, dear generals! This will be an unusual update. This time, we will present you some of the improvements we made to the Skirmish AI. Let's go!
Since 009 Beta 2 release, many players, including me, were disappointed from the AI which was even more broken than the first Beta. It was time to get my hands on it. I started studying and testing AI. After fixing all the major bugs, I got interested in scripting some unusual, special AI behaviors.
What you see below is the Insane AI building a Hadron Collider near your base. I could have kept this one a surprise, but I'm sure many people will still not expect or forget about the AI being able to do it. This hidden attack is performed only by Insane AI on official 1v1 maps, suitable for building Hadron Colliders.
Next up, we have AI deploying AA Radars on their way.
Shandian and Centurions performing overwater attacks. Sounds dangerous, huh?
Troop Crawlers! More trouble.
Tank AI utilizing Bixies.
And dropping heavy tanks behind enemy lines.
A sneaky BTR-50 creating a Sneak Attack in my base.
Assault AI using the Rig Launcher to dig tunnels on its way.
AI will call paradrop support powers in their base. This prevents them from sending their paradrops on suicide missions.
We are also very proud to announce that Contra is much more stable than before. While playing online together, we noticed some suspicious situations (e.g. Nuke Battlemaster having a high chance of causing mismatch in the first few minutes of the game). Every mismatch we were suspicious about was later tested and if confirmed, we went over and fixed it. The most common cause was the following case: Many units had a minimum attack range glitch. If their minimum attack range was too low and they were ordered to attack close to their location, they used to fire a shot which would not register properly. It actually detonates at the bottom left corner of the map and therefore the game considers it a mismatch. Fixing this one drastically reduced mismatch errors. It is shown below.
More such stability fixes include Leonidas mismatch fix, Squid Drone crash fix, Strategy Center Battle Plan switching crash fix, and a very rare crash found by PeRSuN caused by a garrisoned Laser Defender shooting close enough to damage the building he was in.
Fixes to some texture shaders such as those used on parachutes, particle and AI optimizations improve overall performance. On top of all that, we have ContraVPN in active development by tet, which is as lag-free as possible. It will be integrated with 009 Final once it comes out.
That's all for now. Thank you for making us part of the top 100 mods in this year's MOTY competition. We hope we got you excited once again!
Consider joining our Discord channel if you're up for some online games or just hang out with us.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 10
Posted October 1, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by d-ce on Oct 1st, 2017
While feeling fresh Autumn breeze on skin, you can see that trees are changing and preparing for winter. And so is Contra too. Command Centers got a small redesign to be even more unique. Each general's Command Center now has additional 3D objects which are unique for this general. So far USA and China Command Centers are done, and maybe GLA Factories will receive unique objects too. But this is not the only change, now general's logo is not a plain picture as before. Each logo is a 3D object, and GLA flags are removed. Now you can easily recognize which general you are facing. And this is not all! USA Security System turrets are completely remodeled and they look much better than before.
- GLA generals also got some new redesigned models, like Battle Bus, Quad Cannon and Wasp:
- USA Air Force Combat Chinook unit is back, with its grenade launcher. But its model is replaced and unit is now called Puma:
- And last but not least is Laser Generals F6 Fighter. This is a unique fighter available at rank 3, which is deadly vs. fast and light units. You can use it to take down annoying artillery units, or to reduce enemy tank horde before they face your units.
There are also many other changes in balance, gameplay, and bug fixing which you will see in actual release.
We are glad to inform you that the first internal Developer Tournament has started today.
Tournament consists of 11 players, developers and beta testers, which will be last this whole October. The point of tournament is not to determinate the best player, or give a reward. Tournament will help us balance gameplay.