» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 8
Posted February 26, 2017. By
Originally posted on ModDB by d-ce on Feb 26th, 2017
It's been two months since we released Contra 009 Beta 2 version, and we can only say that we are very happy with your feedback, and with approximately 100 downloads per day.
We are also glad to see more people being active on Tunngle and our Discord channel. We apologize for not being active there, since we are occupied with our work for Contra, but you can discuss things there with some other people, and arrange games.
As you guys play and report bugs, we fix them and improve things.
We fixed obvious Ratel II overpowered state, Centurion bonus damage and so on. Everything with purpose to make game even more balanced and enjoyable.
But we also proceeded with our scheduled work. It's important to note that this is not a patch update as some people are thinking, but a news update. Let's get to it.
This time we are more focused on GLA.
- GLA Chemical general got a new structure, Chemical Lab, which replaces both Defiler and Bunker.
Chemical Lab holds important upgrades for Chemical general. This is also the only structure which can spill toxins around, on your demand. Lab can launch both toxin and acid clouds anywhere on the map. Structure is available at rank 3, but requires Palace.
- Next one is Demo Scorpion
It was about time to change the old model right? We are focused on Demo general, since he has serious problems dealing with other generals. Demo Scorpion has better primary damage, and his standard suicide weapon. But, new addition is the demo charge, which Scorpion leaves on the ground when destroyed (not suicided). Demo charge can deal serious damage to tanks and infantry. It is a very good addition when your forces are retreating, or when attacking. Demo charges will block enemy units from advancing forward, or from chasing your units.
- All GLA generals got one version of Technical which replaces all old variants.
This means also for GLA Chemical general. Chemical general now has Wasp available from rank 1, as AA unit. And Technical is now conventional rank 1 transport unit. His weapons are fixed now and get proper bonus from salvages.
- Last but not least, is visual update for China Bunkers. Previously, their garrisoned versions just had additional housecolor blocks, which were ugly. Now, it is improved with sandbags and wires.
I suggest you to subscribe and to follow Persun's channel, you can see good testing games between us there. You can also see new updated things even before article here.
There were some awesome games lately, which you should see:
A few errors, possibly causing mismatch errors have been found. We are testing for mismatches as well.
ThePredatorBG analyzed and fixed some errors in Skirmish and Challenge AI, as well as usual bug fixes.
Here's the Granger Challenge fix: Click. The crash must now be gone forever. Simply extract the archive to your ZH folder.
» Contra 009 Beta 2 Released
Posted December 26, 2016. By
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Hi everyone, as promised, we are releasing yet another version of Contra mod.
A year has passed by since the last beta version, and we made a lot of changes. As usual we have made many new things for you guys to discover and enjoy. Improved old and bad things, fixed bugs, and added new stuff for you to play with. Two brand new Challenge maps are available: Demolition and Flame.
Before actual download link, there are few new visual improvements to show, so let's start.
USA Laser Avenger tank
Old Avenger model got replaced with new one, but it is not just visual update. New Avenger has only one weapon, which is of course anti air, but he got new hybrid armor. Armor which is resistant to RPG missiles more than usual AA unit, and also resistant to Jet Missiles. You could say, it is combination of regular tank, and anti-air tank.
USA Air Force's Black Hawk
In order to balance generals' powers, we did some changes there too. So Air Force general's Shockwave Bomb is removed, and replaced with SEAL drop. SEALs are dropped by 3 stealth Black Hawks, which are very well armored too. This power is available at rank 5.
USA Air Force's Navy SEAL
So as explained above, SEALs are dropped by stealth Black Hawks. All together 9 Seals, very well armored and equipped with M32 grenade launcher effective vs all ground targets. They come as a good support, or ambush attack from behind. In future, SEALs will get the ability to swim, and place explosive charges on structures. They are also stealth while not moving or shooting.
GLA Toxin Pump
GLA Toxin general's demo traps are replaced with toxin pumps now. This nice little thing can spill both toxin and acid (despite of the name) around itself and damage nearby units. It is manually controlled. Acid damages pump and destroys it, but if you purchase Neutralizers upgrade at rank 3, pump won't damage itself anymore. Of course, both toxin and acid can be even more upgraded to bring more damage. Plant those things on map, pollute everything and enjoy watching your enemy dying slowly. Toxin pump is stealth, and can be destroyed by any unit.
Last but definitely not least, is improvement on GLA structures. PredatorBG took some time to improve GLA textures, and with this, all structures look much better.
This is render of GLA assault general's Temple
No more yellow boring walls, now we have nice looking bricks.
And here is a picture of all GLA structures together:
Before you download and start playing, please read these most important gameplay changes, and avoid unpleasant surprises
all USA Valanx units now come with already upgraded TOW (but nerfed) weapons
all USA Valanx units passengers cannot fire from inside anymore
all USA Laser generals units, can go through rampage from game start, meaning, they upgrade lasers individually with experience
all GLA tunnels no longer have a mounted weapon, and don't give free tunnel defenders, but they are much cheaper and built very fast
all GLA command trucks are limited to 1
you can reach rank 6 now, which gives you additional 3 science points which you can spend on your general's powers
...for complete changelog article, visit this link:
Now, we will take some rest from working on new version, and we will be available for online playing with you. So, we are inviting you to join us in Tunngle and play with us, if you see us there, feel free to challenge anyone for a game.
And a few more final words, about our future plans. So next release will be Contra 009 FINAL. Which will have some finished things from this version, and fixed bugs. This 009 Beta 2 is almost as complete as 009 FINAL would be, but we decided to release it under beta code name, in order to give you guys something for holidays. We plan to release 009 FINAL in 2017, if our RL goes as planned.
We would like to thank you for all support, and for voting on MOTY. Keep in mind, we are just 2 people that are working on all aspects of this mod. We have RL same as you guys have.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 7
Posted August 6, 2016. By
Originally posted on ModDB by d-ce on Aug 6th, 2016
Hello dear friends!
As usual we are bringing you some insight into our progress. It would be a shame if Summer would go without some new fancy update right!? So, without much intro, let's get to it.
USA Super Weapon general got long awaited and expected tank unit, Centurion tank!
Centurion is energy depending, rank 1 tank, which needs to be purchased through general's powers. This means, if you want him, you will need to spend one science point. Centurion consumes 2 energy points, and without energy he is shut down. His special hovering locomotor allows him to drive over water and cliffs. Fires energy shots which cannot be deviated by ecm. Centurion is good to deal vs. any rank 1 tank, but also, with upgrades at rank 3, he can improve his armor, and weapon. But, while improving weapon, he will need even more energy, specifically he will need 3 energy points in total to be online. So, be careful, this is a tricky unit. Standing near Ion Plant will give him additional +50% damage bonus, because he will consume energy directly from Ion Plant.
Depending on your enemy, you will be able to choose whether you go standard with defenses, or you purchase this fancy tank. Mostly recommended vs. generals who do not rely too much on infantry.
Demo general's Ratel
Ratel is a fine piece of technology designed for Demo general, available at rank 3. His main weapon can pierce through any rank 1 unit and deal significant damage to stronger units, for example Emperors. But, his main role is his secondary weapon, suicide pack, which is designed specifically to destroy huge vehicles like Emperors. Ratel's armor allows him to survive 2 Emperor shots, perform suicide attack and destroy Emperor. Additional ability is to transport 6 units (cannot fire from inside), which can survive suicide attack, and deal extra damage. Ratel is not a salvager, but he can be upgraded with many upgrades.
Stealth general's Ratel II
This ratel variant is made specifically for stealth general. Available at rank 3, Ratel II is a sneaky bastard who lures his targets into trap. Ratel II is stealth by default, while standing still and shooting. He reveals himself only when moving. His special ability allows him to fire a jamming beam which makes enemy unit unselectable, while remaining stealth he also fires primary machinegun and deals significant damage to target. Targeted vehicle is helpless, cannot return fire because Ratel II is stealth, and also cannot force fire because cannot be selected. Only scout unit, or another can help you if you find yourself in trap. Since he is smaller, he can transport only 2 units (cannot fire from inside). Also, he is not a salvager.
Another big thing, is change in Laser general's gameplay.
Laser general's units are no longer upgradeable through different lasers, they get better lasers with each rank. Basically, all laser units start with blue laser, while progressing through veterancy they improve to green, orange and finally red lasers. Advancing with laser units now pays off more than waiting and purchasing upgrades, I like to call this rampage gameplay. The more units your unit kills, the better weapon it gets. We all know each veterancy rank improved slightly weapon for each unit, but for laser units, this is very noticeable, both visually and gameplay-wise.
Some additional stuff is given to laser. New Laser Training power, available at rank 3, makes all laser units start with green laser. For this general, most important upgrade is Training upgrade from strategy center, which makes laser units gain experience twice faster.
Another small addition are generals flags on GLA Factory structures. No longer you will have to click on worker or factory to find out which general it is, you can simply look at flag.
I recommend you to follow Persun's youtube channel. He is our tester and he uploads videos of our games every week, as well as many other walkthrough videos. Our last 2v2 game will show you laser gameplay and Ratel in-game. It was a great game, take a look at it:
Thanks to our new members, Marakar and Teteros, we have more intense and mixed games. Before I end this update, Predator wants to leave a message too.
- Hi people, Predator here. Just want to keep you up to date on what's going on with other aspects of the mod, the ones which I'm responsible for. I have fixed some big AI issues, working on Challenge and Campaign as much as I can, and improving some cameos as well. Some people have requested new multiplayer maps, containing usable Boss technologies, but sadly, I don't have enough time in my hands for them... If you have interesting ideas in mind and would like to make cool maps like these, feel free to send me a PM. Show me what you've made and I may include it in the next release. I have a physical part done for an AOD map by the way (but no scripting). It's been sitting on my PC for years. Also, I would appreciate if anyone experiencing problems with the Contra Launcher (the "Could not launch Contra" error in particular) contacts me. I have made some changes to it, but need someone who had problems with it to test if it works for him now. Thanks guys.
There are some new features that are in progress, which will be shown in the next updates. Until then, stay tuned!
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 5
Posted March 27, 2016. By
Originally posted on ModDB by ThePredatorBG on Mar 27th, 2016
Hello, dear Contra fans and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it today! It is ThePredatorBG this time.
As said before, Cybernetic general is under revision. This means changing and/or adding new units.
One new unit for Cybernetic general is Cyber Dog, which is anti-personnel.
Cyber Dog is fully mechanical, and produced in Barracks. It is very fast, and because of this, is mostly used as infantry hunter. With its sharp iron teeth, it rips enemy infantry into pieces with one bite. You can use it in early game to block tech structures from being captured by your enemy. It is very effective vs. GLA generals. Due to its mechanical body, machine guns cannot harm it seriously. But RPGs and all other armor-piercing weapons can kill it almost instantly. Since it is a pure robot, it is vulnerable to ECM. Can be upgraded with Exoskeletons and Advanced Data Transmission upgrades.
For the last few days, I've been busy with preparing some overview of what I've been working on lately. And I have them in video format.
Sequoia trees have a gameplay role. Destroying one sequoia tree will cause it to fall down and create a domino effect. The end result is pretty obvious - the middle area of the map is completely swept. Remember that you can always achieve a comeback when the enemy has middle control by destroying the trees.
The purpose of this video is to show that capturable trains are possible in multiplayer. Capturing the train engine transfers the entire train to that player. After being owned by a player, it starts following the railroad path, goes out of the map borders and comes back again until it's destroyed. The map is still in progress.
This is the map intro of a new challenger, USA Boss, who will be available in later versions of Contra. Also, an FPS Control button was added to all Challenge maps. Each click changes the game speed in real time. You may have seen this button in older versions, but this time it works!
We have a new member in the team - Josh Zemlinsky. He is helping with the creation of new maps, currently for Campaign. Thanks, Josh!
Yes, you read it right - Campaign. I want to remind you that our Campaign is still in progress and it will come out one day. I could have shown something in this update, but... I don't want to spoil it. You are free to speculate.
In addition, we are recruiting experienced mapmakers. This means you need to have good world building and scripting knowledge. Mapmaking background is a big plus! If you fulfill the requirements and are willing to help, contact me by PM. The more people we are, the faster we will complete and release Challenge and Campaign content!
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 4
Posted February 14, 2016. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dcesarec on Feb 14th, 2016
I hope you are all enjoying 009 Beta release. We want to thank you for voting for us, and for your support.
It's also great to see 100 downloads of 009 Beta per day.
As usual, we are working constantly on balance, bug fixing, and adding new stuff. I am here to present you 3 new finished models.
- So, let's start. In order to bring as much as diversity as possible to generals, SW general got a new structure. Well, it's not so new, but its stats are different than other USA generals, and thus model is also changed.
It is Ion Plant structure.
Ion Plant is cheaper than any other power plant in game, it is built much faster (those stats are still subject to change, so I won't write them in numbers). It gives SW general opportunity for rush, expand faster and take more control of the map. But, in order to balance it, you cannot upgrade System defense on it anymore, because player would attack with these structures. Also, it brings less power to you. So, you will need to make very large number of them to support your base. It has less health, and when destroyed, causes a small EMP explosion, shutting down all nearby tanks and structures for a few seconds. You cannot purchase more energy production on it like you could on other USA power plants. It has a nice rotating animation and awesome lighting effect. This is the new thing for SW general.
- Another update is for Cybernetic general. His old stealth patriot defense is replaced with new defenses. First one is Missile Defense System.
Missile Defense System is effective only vs. ground targets, and more specifically vs. tanks and vehicles. Deals small damage to infantry too. Fires 6 rockets instead of 4 like old Patriot and does not relay position of enemies to nearby Patriots anymore. But its firepower is slightly better than Patriot. It provides better defense vs. tanks and especially vs. ECM because it has a stronger secondary damage radius.
- And last structure, also for Cybernetic general, is Gatling Defense System
It is perfect anti infantry and anti air defense. Not much to say about it, you get the picture.
All those Cybernetic defenses are currently built as a separate object, but with help from TheHunter in coding, they could actually be built as upgrade on one specific structure (node).
Challenge and Campaign are being worked on. More info on those is coming in the next updates.
That's it for now, stay tuned.
Once again, I will share you two YouTube channels which have and will have a lot of Contra videos, so track them and enjoy some nice battle videos:
» Contra 009 Beta Released
Posted December 8, 2015. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dcesarec on Dec 7th, 2015
Dear Contra players,
with small delay, we are bringing you first 009 release. As already known, our team which consists from 3 people (d-ce, ThePredatorBG, and our tester Persun) was working on 009 beta for about a year.
But real life took from us even more time which we would dedicate to this project. So many plans and ideas are still not implemented in 009 release. However, many new things are inserted, many things are improved and fixed. You can read a detailed changelog here: http://www.moddb.com...logs-part-16-17
We encourage you to download this version, which is better than 008 Final in many aspects. Play it with friends, and play it with us.
Join us either on Hamachi in this network: generalsgentlemen (Pass: generalsgentlemen); keep in mind, players on this network play all kind of ZH mods.
Or you can join us in Tunngle, in Contra 009 room. We are looking forward to playing some online games.
Also, please support us by voting for us. No matter of winning something or not, it means a lot for us by knowing that people are still liking this project.
Installation video tutorial (more info can be found in video description on YouTube):
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 3
Posted September 22, 2015. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dcesarec on Sep 20th, 2015
We are still making gameplay changes every day in order to balance the game. Fixing bugs, and inserting new stuff.
This time most changes got Infantry general. Introducing "Patria Family" vehicles, which will replace existing troop crawlers, Feng Yong artillery and ECM tank.
First one is machine gun troop crawler
Available at rank 1, armed with machinegun, which is effective vs. infantry and air units. Replaces gatling troop crawler. Has 4 sitplaces for your soldiers.
Anti tank troop crawler
Armed with light anti tank turret, available at rank 1. Has 3 sitplaces (4th goes for turret operator)
Artillery troop crawler
Replaces old artillery. Available at rank 1. Has 3 sitplaces.
Propaganda troop crawler.
Available at rank 3. Heals forces and gives firepower bonus. As the previous propaganda TC, has 8 sitplaces.
ECM troop crawler
Replaces old ECM tank. Deviates missiles, turns off vehicles. Has 4 sitplaces and available at rank 3. Great addition to your forces.
Grenade troop crawler
Best troop crawler version. Available at rank 3. Armed with grenade launcher, effective vs. all ground targets. Has 4 sitplaces.
All troop crawlers can be upgraded at rank 3 with special "Advanced Engineering" upgrade. This upgrade gives all troop crawlers additional health, and allows them to move over water. But due to all the weight, they lose their speed. So you will have to decide if you want the upgrade or not, depending on situation.
Some other small visual changes are with flame general. Immolator tank got new "Dragon Tail" turret. This turret shoots Lava shells, which are effective vs. everything. But mostly used vs. tanks.
And last one goes to Cybernetic general. Commando unit got a new model.
Predator is working with AI lately, and also he is improving and adding new stuff to challenge maps. Many animals were inserted in maps, and maps are looking better with each change.
At the end, I need to say thanks to TheHunter649 , he is giving me some advices with new things I encounter (about coding), and sharing codes with me.
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 2
Posted July 31, 2015. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dcesarec on Jul 31st, 2015
We are back...
Again, hi folks..!! This is a second update of the new Contra 009 version. As always, we are working on all segments, as much as we can. We are still lacking staff, so I'm hereby inviting anyone interested, but with some skills, at least basic ones, to join us.
I will show you some pics of changed things. As usual, let's start with USA.
- This is Mosquito drone for Cybernetic general. Mosquito drone is used as special power, and it replaces A10 Thunderbolt Strike. Mosquito drone appears as reinforcement unit, and kills enemy infantry units only. It appears in 3 levels, each level has a different number of drones (3, 5, 7). Mosquito is very useful if you fight vs. infantry general. Or you simply need some backup vs. suiciders, Black Lotus etc.
- Next one is Shark drone. As said before, USA Strategy Centers have unique weapons when you use Bombardment Battle Plan. SW has Ion Tower, Laser has Railgun weapon, and Cybernetic has Shark drone. This drone is very useful vs. ground units. But it can be taken down with any AA weapon.
- China also had some makeovers. As you probably saw, Zhu Rong got a new model (screenshot).
- China Tank general got new structure. It's Overlord Headquarters. This structure is very important to Tank general. It is available at rank 3. Limited to 1 at a time, costs much, consumes power and it is revealed on the map to enemy players. But, it gives 15% discount to all Overlord based units, repairs all Overlord based units all over the map (as long as it exists). It also grants upgrades for Tank general, such as Uranium Shells, and Nuclear Tank upgrade. Structure can be captured and used by other China generals.
- Some GLA improvements. This is new Scorpion model. All 3 salvage variants.
- And new Bomb Truck with his Bio Bomb and High-Explosive Bomb variations.
Don't think this is all what we have done, as I said before, there are plenty more of changes in game balance, upgrades, and even particles. We test the new version every day and try to bring as much polished version as possible. So, I won't list all changes, because they are subject to change while testing. Also, you saw new animals and stuff, which will also appear on official maps (here).
Good players from this tournament will be able to join us in our every day new version testing, playing with us, suggesting new things and much more.
As for the end, I think I can say that the next update will be public 009 Beta release. So enjoy what we have done so far, apply for the tournament, test your skills, meet new people and wait for the new release
» Contra 009 work in progress - Update 1
Posted June 6, 2015. By
Originally posted on ModDB by dcesarec on Jun 6th, 2015
it's been a long time since our last update, which was release of 008 FINAL version.
I hope you guys enjoy playing this great mod as much as we do. We have been playing many online games, we watched many walkthrough videos on YouTube and we are happy that people are so much interested in Contra. Because of all that, and because of all ideas we still have, we continued our work.
So, let's put it in some order. Let's start with USA.
- Many people were sad that we could not fix bugs which appeared with Web Defense System, we were sad because of that too. But, we found a way to use this great weapon, slightly changed. So, we present you Super Weapon general's Ion Tower defense.
Ion Tower defense will replace Fire Base artillery, so it is available at rank 1. It consumes power, can be garrisoned by 4 infantry units. It is a precise artillery structure, effective vs all ground units.
- Next is Grendel defense system for SW general. Yes, you have probably seen this structure somewhere, it was used in Remix mod, and for USA Boss general, but now it's a part of SW general too. SW general's patriots are now changed, they are more effective but also cost more, they don't match up vs ECM tanks. This is where Grendel comes in, it's a very good anti-tank defense system. Does not depend on other defenses and brings good damage vs tanks.
- Let's continue with USA SW. Strategy Centers give you weapons if you choose bombardment strategy, right!? Before it was a boring artillery cannon for all USA generals. Not anymore, now they are unique and effective in their own ways. USA SW general has Ion Tower.
- Laser General has prototype of Rail Gun weapon, very devastating cannon.
- Laser general also has one good improvement. Colonel Burton now has a light saber instead of his knife attack. This attack is very effective vs tanks. He can kill rank 3 tanks with one blow. Col. Burton is also hidden while performing this attack, so if you see your tanks dying you better bring some scouts with you.
- That's it for USA... China didn't get any new visual candies (for now). But GLA did. This new tank, Marauder T-63, replaces the old Marauder model. New model is the finest of GLA units so far, and this honor is given to Assault general. Not only he is visual changed, he is also changed in his stats. He is more effective vs. tanks and structures now.
- New Challenge maps are also in progress. You can see, we are working on all aspects of the game. Below is shown challenge versus USA Boss.
- There are many more changes in balance and bug fixing. We read your comments, test everything and make changes. List of changes is big, and I won't post it right now because it could be changed in the future. Most important change that I can share with you is faster exp gaining. Yes, you heard good. Now you can get rank 5 a lot faster and game is more interesting.
- Last but not least, I would like to point you a few links to people that record and show Contra videos from time to time.